Attorney Mark A. Buterbaugh is the day to day Managing Partner of Mooney Law. He created and manages the firm’s Workers’ Compensation practice and specifically handles all Pennsylvania and Maryland Workers Compensation cases. In addition to Workers Compensation, he also handles personal injury cases, such as Slip and Falls, Dog Bites, and Premises Liability matters. Attorney Buterbaugh also practices in Bankruptcy Law, handling personal bankruptcy cases in Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 filings for individual in Pennsylvania and Maryland. Attorney Buterbaugh is licensed to practice law in Pennsylvania and Maryland.
Attorney Buterbaugh has recovered tens of millions of dollars in benefits for injured workers throughout Pennsylvania and Maryland. His practice is a full workers’ compensation litigation practice, from fighting workers compensation denials, to defending against employer petitions, to arguing description of injury, to settling cases for lump sum settlements, to Workers’ Compensation appellate practice.
Prior to joining Mooney Law, Attorney Buterbaugh worked for a large Pennsylvania law firm representing some of Pennsylvania’s largest Employers and Insurance Carriers in workers’ compensation defense. His experience on the defense side provided valuable insight, experience, and knowledge as to the strategies and the way insurance defense attorneys approach workers’ compensation cases. Prior to that employment, he served as an Enforcement Counsel for the Pennsylvania Gaming Control Board (PGCB), helping to enforce the laws and regulations within the Pennsylvania casino and gaming industry.
Attorney Buterbaugh graduated from Widener University School of Law in 2009. He holds a Bachelor’s Degree from Penn State (1992) in Political Science with a minor in Labor Relations and a Masters Degree from Shippensburg University (1997) in Public Administration. Prior to law school, he worked for fourteen years in various staff and committee staff positions with the Pennsylvania House of Representatives at the State Capitol in Harrisburg.
Attorney Buterbaugh resides in Shippensburg, Pennsylvania and has served on various community boards. Attorney Buterbaugh was elected to the Shippensburg School Board in 2004, 2013, and recently reelected in November 2019. He currently serves as the Shippensburg School Board President.
In early 2019, Attorney Buterbaugh was selected as a Rising Star in Pennsylvania and as a Super Lawyer by the prestigious national magazine, Super Lawyers. Only 5% of Pennsylvania attorneys are selected as Super Lawyers and even more restrictive, only 2.5 of Pennsylvania lawyers are selected as Rising Stars. Super Lawyers, a Thomson Reuters business, is a rating service of outstanding lawyers who have attained a high degree of peer recognition and professional achievement. The Super Lawyers list is published nationwide in the Super Lawyer Magazine and will be published individually in the Philadelphia Magazine and Pittsburgh Magazine.
Areas of Practice
- Workers Compensation
- Personal Injury
- Long Term Disability Insurance Appeals
- Pennsylvania State Bar, 2009 to present
- Maryland State Bar, 2019 to present
- United States Middle District Court , 2017 to present
- United States Eastern District Court, 2020 to present
- The Widener University School of Law, 2009 J.D.
- Shippensburg University, 1997 M.P.A.
- Pennsylvania State University, 1992 B.A.
Associations and Memberships
- Pennsylvania Bar Association, 2009 to Present
- Maryland Bar Association, 2019 to Present
- Franklin County Bar Association, 2012 to Present
- Cumberland County Bar Association, 2012 to Present
- Pennsylvania Association of Justice, 2012 to Present
- United States Middle District Bankruptcy Bar Association - Present
- Maryland Bankrupcty Bar Association- Present
- Pa. State Bar Association, Bylaws Committee, Member, 2015 to Present
- Shippensburg School Board, 2004, 2013, reelected 2019 - Present
- Shippensburg Produce and Outreach, Board Member, Present
- Shippensburg Chamber of Commerce, Board Member, Past
- Pa. School Boards Association, Member
- Board of Directors, Franklin County United Way, 2018-2019
- Post & Schell, PA,
- Pennsylvania Gaming Control Board,
- Pennsylvania House of Representatives,