Attorney Mark A. Buterbaugh is the Day to Day Managing Partner of Mooney Law. He created and manages the firm’s Workers’ Compensation practice. In addition to Workers Compensation, he also handles personal injury cases, such as Slip and Falls, Dog Bites, and Premises Liability matters. Attorney Buterbaugh also practices before the Social Security Administration handling initial applications for SSDI bendefits and SSDI denials before Social Security Administrative Law Judges. He also handles appeals for private Long Term Disability insurance, either when individuals are denied benefits or benefits are stopped by the insurance carrier. Finally, Attorney Buterbaugh also handles a growing personal bankruptcy practice, specifically Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 before the US Middle District Bankruptcy Court.
Attorney Buterbaugh has recovered tens of millions of dollars in benefits for injured workers throughout Pennsylvania. His practice is a full workers’ compensation litigation practice, from fighting workers compensation denials, to defending against employer petitions, to arguing description of injury, to settling cases for lump sum settlements, to Workers’ Compensation appellate practice.
Immediately prior to joining Mooney Law, Attorney Buterbaugh worked for a large Pennsylvania law firm representing some of Pennsylvania’s largest Employers and Insurance Carriers in workers’ compensation defense. His experience on the defense side provided valuable insight, experience, and knowledge as to the strategies and the way insurance defense attorneys approach workers’ compensation cases.
Attorney Buterbaugh graduated from Widener University School of Law in 2009. He holds a Bachelor’s Degree from Penn State (1992) in Political Science with a minor in Labor Relations and a Masters Degree from Shippensburg University (1997) in Public Administration.
Upon graduation from Law School, Attorney Buterbaugh served as an Enforcement Counsel for the Pennsylvania Gaming Control Board, helping to enforce the laws and regulations within the Pennsylvania casino and gaming industry. He argued enforcement actions before the Pennsylvania Gaming Control Board. Prior to law school, he worked for fourteen years in various staff and committee staff positions with the Pennsylvania House of Representatives at the State Capitol in Harrisburg.
Attorney Buterbaugh resides in Shippensburg, Pennsylvania and has served on various community boards. He was the youngest elected President of Borough Council in Shippensburg history at the age of 24 (1996). Attorney Buterbaugh was elected to the Shippensburg School Board in 2004 and again in 2013 and was subsequently elected President of the Board in 2015. He is currently up for election back to the Shippensburg School Board.
In early 2019, Attorney Buterbaugh was selected as a Rising Star in Pennsylvania and as a Super Lawyer by the prestigious national magazine, Super Lawyer. Only 5% of Pennsylvania attorneys are selected as Super Lawyers and even more restrictive, only 2.5 of Pennsylvania lawyers are selected as Rising Stars. Super Lawyers, a Thomson Reuters business, is a rating service of outstanding lawyers who have attained a high degree of peer recognition and professional achievement. The Super Lawyers list is published nationwide in the Super Lawyer Magazine and will be published individually in the Philadelphia Magazine and Pittsburgh Magazine.
Areas of Practice
- Workers Compensation
- Social Security Disability
- Personal Injury
- Long Term Disability Insurance Appeals
- Pennsylvania, 2009 to Present
- Lebanon County, 2018 to Present
- Franklin County, 2012 to Present
- Cumberland County, 2012 to Present
- United States Middle District Court , 2017 to Present
- The Widener University School of Law, 2009 J.D.
- Shippensburg University, 1997 M.P.A.
- Pennsylvania State University, 1992 B.A.
Associations and Memberships
- Pennsylvania Bar Association, 2009 to Present
- Franklin County Bar Association, 2012 to Present
- Lebanon County Bar Association, 2018 to Present
- Cumberland County Bar Association, 2012 to Present
- Pennsylvania Association of Justice, 2012 to Present
- National Assoc. of Social Security Disability Claimants Rep., 2016 to Present
- Shippensburg School Board, Ten Years of Elected Service
- Shippensburg Produce and Outreach, Board Member, Present
- Shippensburg Chamber of Commerce, Board Member, Past
- Pa. State Bar Association, Community & Public Relations Committee, Member, 2015 to present
- Pa. State Bar Association, Bylaws Committee, Member, 2015 to Present
- Pa. School Boards Association, Member, 2013 to 2018
- Board of Directors, Franklin County United Way, 2018 to 2019
- Post & Schell, PA,
- Pennsylvania Gaming Control Board,
- Pennsylvania House of Representatives,